|This week's handout|
Tuesday, September 27, 2016
This week we focused on silhouettes and concept creation. We were to take a topic such as characters, creatures, environment, or objects and pick one to work with and develop silhouette concepts from. I picked creatures to work with and developed several monster dog-beast designs. This project took me around 3.5 hours to complete.
Monday, September 26, 2016
This week is part one of a process that will span several weeks. We are learning how to model a prop in Maya and our first step involved modeling a cannon proxy. This project took a lot of what we learned before and focused on learning modeling workflow and practices. This project took me around 7 hours to complete, which includes watching the instructional videos.
|First we took the UE4 guy and imported him into Maya along with his fish friend to get size reference for our cannon.|
|WIP proxy cannon, as compared to size and object reference|
|The proxy in all it's glory.|
|Total tris at 952, goal was under 1000|
|Added into my earlier UE4 scene|
Tuesday, September 20, 2016
This week we were to choose a type of composition layout and create an image that highlights that style of composition. I created a quick scene of two gators living together in a sewer using a circular composition layout. This image took me about 8 hours to complete
Monday, September 19, 2016
Onto another round of building with Legos! As a member of the Character Team I helped develop a character for our full-class scene. I ended up developing an alien mechanic to stick with our futuristic theme, and modeled a wrench and a vest to go with my mechanic character. Modeling the wrench took a little over 6.5 hours, the vest took a little under 6.5 hours, creating the texture skin took about 2 hours, and putting everything into UE4 for the class to use took about 2 hours as well.
|Fronts of vest|
|Backs of vest|
|Character model fully textured (made by Ryan Hill, who modeled the figure, UV'd the figure, and made a handy guide to texturing the figure) with both items I modeled for this project|
|Here we see a mechanic in action, taking a break from all of the work he's been doing|
|The wrench material in UE4 has a pulsing green emissive color that I made by using a sine node, similar to how I made my orb in my lighting project for tech art|
|This guy never smiles|
|Full view of the scene|
For this assignment we improved upon our animation of a bouncing ball we made in the previous week. I fixed some issues the animation had with the timing of the squash and stretching of the ball but there are still some issues with the timing/frames of the animation. This video took me around 1.5 hours to make.
This week we focused on rigging a model all the way from skeleton creation to setting up a FK rig. I didn't quite get all of the controllers and skin weights perfect but here is the result of me attempting to rig the demon character model. This project took almost 4 hours to complete.
|Front view of model with skeleton and FK controllers set up|
This week we focused on learning how to light a scene. We were given a big mansion level layout and tasked with lighting two rooms and a hallway. I tried to light the big library room and a connecting room/hallway. This entire assignment took me around 2.5 hours to complete.
|Setting up the scene|
|We were also assigned to add at least one primitive in each room we lit with a material instance attracted to each primitive. This room featured an orb with a pulsing green emissive color.|
|The start of the hallway|
|A cone sitting in the hallway|
|Into the hallway|
|Golden cube for the last primitive|
|Doorway leading into a dimly lit closet|
Tuesday, September 13, 2016
For this project we focused on learning perspective. We were to take an image that included 3-point perspective and re-render the image in black and white. We were to use our own lines/guides to re-create the perspective in our picture. This project took me about 3.5 hours total.