Tuesday, September 27, 2016

2D Class Week 05 Silhouettes

This week we focused on silhouettes and concept creation. We were to take a topic such as characters, creatures, environment, or objects and pick one to work with and develop silhouette concepts from. I picked creatures to work with and developed several monster dog-beast designs. This project took me around 3.5 hours to complete.

This week's handout

Monday, September 26, 2016

3D Class Week 05 Modeling A Prop

This week is part one of a process that will span several weeks. We are learning how to model a prop in Maya and our first step involved modeling a cannon proxy. This project took a lot of what we learned before and focused on learning modeling workflow and practices. This project took me around 7 hours to complete, which includes watching the instructional videos.

First we took the UE4 guy and imported him into Maya along with his fish friend to get size reference for our cannon.
WIP proxy cannon, as compared to size and object reference
Finished cannon

The proxy in all it's glory.

Total tris at 952, goal was under 1000

Added into my earlier UE4 scene

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

2D Class Week 04 Composition and Layout

This week we were to choose a type of composition layout and create an image that highlights that style of composition. I created a quick scene of two gators living together in a sewer using a circular composition layout. This image took me about 8 hours to complete

Monday, September 19, 2016

3D Class Week 04 Lego Round 2

Onto another round of building with Legos! As a member of the Character Team I helped develop a character for our full-class scene. I ended up developing an alien mechanic to stick with our futuristic theme, and modeled a wrench and a vest to go with my mechanic character. Modeling the wrench took a little over 6.5 hours, the vest took a little under 6.5 hours, creating the texture skin took about 2 hours, and putting everything into UE4 for the class to use took about 2 hours as well.

Wrench models

Fronts of vest
Backs of vest
Character model fully textured (made by Ryan Hill, who modeled the figure, UV'd the figure, and made a handy guide to texturing the figure) with both items I modeled for this project
Here we see a mechanic in action, taking a break from all of the work he's been doing

The wrench material in UE4 has a pulsing green emissive color that I made by using a sine node, similar to how I made my orb in my lighting project for tech art

This guy never smiles

Full view of the scene

Animation Class Week 03 Bouncing Ball - Polish

For this assignment we improved upon our animation of a bouncing ball we made in the previous week. I fixed some issues the animation had with the timing of the squash and stretching of the ball but there are still some issues with the timing/frames of the animation. This video took me around 1.5 hours to make.

Tech Art Week 04

This week we focused on rigging a model all the way from skeleton creation to setting up a FK rig. I didn't quite get all of the controllers and skin weights perfect but here is the result of me attempting to rig the demon character model. This project took almost 4 hours to complete.

Front view of model with skeleton and FK controllers set up

Trip pose

Tech Art Week 03

This week we focused on learning how to light a scene. We were given a big mansion level layout and tasked with lighting two rooms and a hallway. I tried to light the big library room and a connecting room/hallway. This entire assignment took me around 2.5 hours to complete.

Setting up the scene

We were also assigned to add at least one primitive in each room we lit with a material instance attracted to each primitive. This room featured an orb with a pulsing green emissive color.

The start of the hallway

A cone sitting in the hallway

Into the hallway

Golden cube for the last primitive

Doorway leading into a dimly lit closet

Bonus wall-hacking

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

2D Class Week 03 One,Two, Three Perspective

For this project we focused on learning perspective. We were to take an image that included 3-point perspective and re-render the image in black and white. We were to use our own lines/guides to re-create the perspective in our picture. This project took me about 3.5 hours total.